Latest Project Update
The National Trust for Historic Preservation awards additional funds for adobe stabilization.
The Southwestern Foundation awards a grant of $10,000 for adobe stabilization.
Led by Robert Schon and James Mustard, the University of Arizona Archaeology Club and volunteers from Cochise College begin an archaeological surface assessment of the Camp.
Arizona Humanities awards a grant to the Naco Heritage Alliance to assist in the development of a StoryMap. Helen Erickson prepared the successful proposal.
The Sierra Vista Buffalo Soldier Motorcycle Club assists in a Volunteer Cleanup Day.
You can help! Donate today to help support the future of Camp Naco.
The City of Bisbee is the new owner of Camp Naco! The transfer from Huachuca City took place on September 4, 2018. Archaeology Southwest will work with the Naco Heritage Alliance and the City of Bisbee on this exciting opportunity to bring Camp Naco back into active community use.
Many friends of Camp Naco have asked how to provide financial support. Archaeology Southwest will continue to serve as a place for both online or mailed in donations.
High winds hit the Camp and took one roof (the officer’s quarter C3) and brought down the east wall of A6 (the building that lost its roof a few years back). This proves how fragile the camp is. We must stabilize this irreplaceable resource.
Rebecca Orozco of the Friends of Camp Naco gave a presentation to the City of Bisbee City Council explaining the history of Camp Naco and the current opportunity for Bisbee to ask Huachuca City to transfer the property to Bisbee. Bisbee Council voted in favor of making the request. This is a positive development for the Camp’s future.
Archaeology Southwest publishes the Camp Naco Masterplan, available as a PDF download here.
A $20,000 grant from the Southwestern Foundation helps continue stabilization at Camp Naco, and a $5,000 grant from the National Trust for Historic Preservation supports master-plan development.
The Camp Naco Rehabilitation Team wins Governor’s Heritage Preservation Honor Award.
Built between 1919 and 1923, Camp Naco (also known as Camp Newell) first housed military personnel during the Mexican Border Defense campaign and later served as a base camp for the Civilian Conservation Corps. Troops encamped at the facility included units of the renowned Buffalo Soldiers. The only Western camp made of adobe—and, ironically, the only one that remains fairly intact—Camp Naco has suffered tragic vandalism, severe erosion, and disastrous arson.
The Camp Naco Arizona Preservation Committee (CNAPC) and the Town of Huachuca City initially led the charge to rehabilitate and preserve Camp Naco. On December 29, 2008, a new grant proposal was submitted to the Arizona Heritage Fund by the Town of Huachuca City with two nonprofit partners: the Naco Heritage Alliance (formerly the CNAPC) and Archaeology Southwest.
The Naco Heritage Alliance was fully incorporated as a new Arizona nonprofit in July 2008. Its mission is to assist in the preservation and interpretation of Camp Naco and other important historical resources in the borderlands area.
Take action today by following the Friends of Camp Naco Facebook page for updates and making your donation below. (Or checks may be sent to Archaeology Southwest, Camp Naco Fund, 300 North Ash Alley, Tucson, AZ 85701.)
Related to This
Project Saving Camp Naco, Arizona