Saving Camp Naco, Arizona
|Camp Naco, Arizona|
Built between 1919 and 1923, Camp Naco (also known as Camp Newell) first housed military personnel during the Mexican Border Defense campaign and later served as a base camp for the Civilian Conservation Corps. Troops encamped at the facility included units of the renowned Buffalo Soldiers. The only Western camp made of adobe—and, ironically, the only one that remains fairly intact—Camp Naco has suffered tragic vandalism, severe erosion, and disastrous arson.
The Camp Naco Arizona Preservation Committee (CNAPC) and the Town of Huachuca City initially led the charge to rehabilitate and preserve Camp Naco. On December 29, 2008, a new grant proposal was submitted to the Arizona Heritage Fund by the Town of Huachuca City with two nonprofit partners: the Naco Heritage Alliance (formerly the CNAPC) and Archaeology Southwest.
The Naco Heritage Alliance was fully incorporated as a new Arizona nonprofit in July 2008. Its mission is to assist in the preservation and interpretation of Camp Naco and other important historical resources in the borderlands area.
UPDATE: March 2017: On March 21, 2017, Rebecca Orozco of the Friends of Camp Naco gave a presentation to the City of Bisbee City Council explaining the history of Camp Naco and the current opportunity for Bisbee to ask Huachuca City to transfer the property to Bisbee. Bisbee Council voted in favor of making the request. This is a positive development for the Camp’s future.
UPDATE: November, 2015: Archaeology Southwest publishes the Camp Naco Masterplan, available as a PDF download here.
UPDATE: September 30, 2014: A $20,000 grant from the Southwestern Foundation helps continue stabilization at Camp Naco, and a $5,000 grant from the National Trust for Historic Preservation supports master-plan development.
UPDATE: The Camp Naco Rehabilitation Team wins Governor’s Heritage Preservation Honor Award, May 5, 2014, as reported in the Sierra Vista Herald.
UPDATE: Bill Doelle and the Friends of Camp Naco host State Parks Director Bryan Martyn and other state and local officials on February 26, 2014, as reported in the Sierra Vista Herald.
UPDATE: Bill Doelle’s June 6, 2013 blog post describes what the camp urgently needs now—rolled roofing—and explains how you can help.
UPDATE: Asbestos removal began on May 13, 2013. Once the dangerous roofing material has been removed, stabilization and restoration may begin. For daily news and images, check out the Friends of Camp Naco Facebook page.
UPDATE: On October 17, 2012, the Camp Naco Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Read the listing announcement here. Learn more about the National Register of Historic Places here. Learn more about Archaeology Southwest’s preservation and protection efforts at Camp Naco by following the links in the sidebar at the upper left.