Banner image by Df206, via Wikimedia Commons
Built of adobe, Fort Selden was established in 1865 on the banks of the Rio Grande. It housed units of the U.S. Infantry and Cavalry who were stationed to protect settlers and travelers from desperados and Apache Indians. Several units stationed at the fort were Buffalo Soldiers. Hostilities eventually lessened, and Fort Selden was abandoned in 1891.
The visitor center has exhibits on frontier and military life. Living history demonstrations occasionally take place on Saturdays in the summer months.