Banner image by Hank Goede, via Wikimedia Commons
“Troops from the 21st Infantry and 1st Cavalry were ordered to establish ‘a camp on the White Mountain River.’ On May 16, 1870, they began construction of Camp Ord. Over the course of the next year, the remaining troops at Camp Goodwin moved to the site, and the camp would be renamed Camp Mogollon, then Camp Thomas, and finally, Camp Apache. The post was designated Fort Apache in 1879. The Army abandoned Fort Apache in 1922 after many years of declining use.
“In 1923, the site became the home of the Bureau of Indian Affairs’ Theodore Roosevelt Indian Boarding School. First intended to serve Diné (Navajo) children, by the 1930s, a majority of students at the school were Apache. T.R. School continues today on the very spot to serve as a middle school, under the administration of a school board selected by the Tribal Council.” — From the “History” page at the website of the Fort Apache Heritage Foundation