Banner image by The Old Pueblo, via Wikimedia Commons
Fairbank is protected within the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area (NCA) along the San Pedro River. The Bureau of Land Management acquired the land in 1986. When the railroad came in 1881, Fairbank became an important depot on the way to booming Tombstone. Originally called Junction City, Kendall, then Fairbanks, it was officially named Fairbank on May 16, 1883. (N. K. Fairbank of Chicago helped finance the railroad.) The town was bought by the Boquillas Land and Cattle Company in 1901, and the company continued to lease the mercantile building and a few residences into the 1970s.