Banner image by Tillman, via Wikimedia Commons
Coronado Historic Site includes Kuaua Pueblo. Kuaua Pueblo was established around A.D. 1325 by Tiwa-speaking people. Kuaua, which means “evergreen,” was the northernmost of 12 Tiwa villages in the Rio Grande valley. About 1,200 people were living at the pueblo when Francisco Vásquez de Coronado and his troops arrived in the region in 1540. Conflict with Coronado and later colonizers led people to leave the pueblo within a century of first contact. Today, the descendants of the people of Kuaua live in the surviving Tiwa-speaking villages of Taos, Picuris, Sandia, and Isleta.
Archaeologists from the Museum of New Mexico investigated Kuaua Pueblo in the 1930s. There are displays in the Visitor Center.