Banner image courtesy of the NPS
The National Park Service and the Navajo Nation jointly manage Canyon de Chelly’s resources. The canyon’s natural water sources and fertile soil made it a favored habitation for four millennia, and the landscape holds the remains of early pithouse villages, farming villages, and cliff dwellings. Ancestral Pueblo people left the region in the mid-1300s. Hopi people maintained fields and orchards in the canyon historically. The land has also been home to Navajo people (Diné) for several hundred years. About 40 families still live in the canyon. President Hoover authorized the monument in 1931.
Canyon de Chelly
Related to This
Culture Ancestral Pueblo