Banner image by Howcheng, via Wikimedia Commons
This adobe fort was built in 1833 by William and Charles Bent and Ceran St. Vrain. It was the center of a trading network that incorporated Plains Indians and fur trappers, and it was a major stopping point along the Santa Fe Trail. It also served as a staging place for Colonel Kearny’s Army of the West during the Mexican-American War. People abandoned the fort in 1849, largely due to a cholera outbreak.
The fort has been reconstructed based on archaeological and historical data.