Archaeology Making the News – A Service of the Center for Desert Archaeology
Late Archaic Period Pithouses Found in Downtown Phoenix: When Hackbarth was called to the site at the end of July, he expected to find Hohokam ruins. But even after 20 years of archaeological work in the Valley, he never imagined the immensity of what he found. Hackbarth uncovered three of the earliest known pithouses in the Phoenix metropolitan area, houses that were 3,000 years old. And as he dug, he kept finding more traces of the ancient civilization.
– Bering Strait Migration Route Questioned: Scientists have found new evidence that the Bering Strait near Alaska flooded into the Arctic Ocean about 11,000 years ago, about 1,000 years earlier than widely believed, closing off the land bridge thought to be the major route for human migration from Asia to the Americas.
– Virgina City and the “Wild West”:A special exhibit of artifacts recovered in archaeological digs in this Comstock mining town is helping dispel myths about 19th century saloons in the West, state historians say.
– Texas Archaeology Fair: The Archeology and Heritage fair is also the best time of year for the students at TC to have their work appreciated by the community. “I think it is great for people to have a chance to be educated on the heritage of Texarkana,” said archeologist Dr. Jamie Brandon with the Arkansas Archaeology Survey.
http://tinyurl.com/ydhge3 – The Texarkana Gazzette
– New Website for Crow Canyon: The Crow Canyon Archaeological Center has unveiled its new Web site at http://www.crowcanyon.org with easier navigation and even more information for professionals, educators, students, and the general public. Please visit us online!
– Old Pueblo Archaeology Center Fundraising Tour Of Bisbee: Bountiful Bisbee. Saturday, November 4, 2006. Visits to museums, Queen Mine underground tour, historic driving tour, and lunch at Copper Queen Hotel (not included in tour fee). Tour fee includes a donation to Old Pueblo Archaeology, transportation by van, and all entrance fees. $89 per person for non-members; $71.20 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center members and Pueblo Grande Museum auxiliary members. Call Old Pueblo Archaeology at 520-798-1201 to sign up. E-mail to email@example.com.