Archaeology Making the News – A Service of the Center for Desert Archaeology.
– A visit to Mesa Verde: Most national parks protect natural wonders — mountains, forests, canyons. But Mesa Verde in Colorado was the very first national park created to preserve manmade wonders — ancient cliff dwellings, made from sandstone, perched on ledges at elevations of 7,000 feet.
– Archaeologist Studied Acoma: Eminent archaeologist Alfred “Ed” Dittert sifted through the sands of the Southwest, from the site that became the Navajo dam and reservoir to mesas of ancestral Acoma.
– Rock shelter, dry creek provide unique heritage to town: On the west bank of Cave Creek’s flood plain that is surrounded by desert shrubs and grass, a 100-foot deep cave cuts into the gray rocks. It’s the cave many believe gave the creek, and subsequently the town, its name.
– Get up close and personal with 600-year-old bighorn: Centuries ago, Indians known today as the Hohokam pecked pictures of animals, human-like figures and spiral designs on rock faces northwest of Tucson.
– TRC Inc., a provider of cultural resource management (CRM) services in many states, seeks experienced, highly motivated CRM specialists for crew chief positions. TRC will also consider applications for both higher and lower positions such as, PI, Project Archaeologist, crew member, etc. Send letter of interest and resume with a list of three references to: Search Committee, TRC, 4221-A Balloon Park Road, Albuquerque, NM 87109, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Parsons Brinckerhoff, an employee-owned, worldwide planning and engineering consulting firm, is seeking an archaeological Principal Investigator/Project Manager for its Albuquerque, NM office. The qualified candidate will have a master’s degree in archaeology, anthropology, or related field, at least five years supervisory field experience, and a thorough understanding of the Section 106 process. Knowledge of New Mexico archaeology and the ability to hold permits on New Mexico state and BLM lands is preferred. Please send resumes to Human Resources, Parsons Brinckerhoff, 6100 Uptown Blvd NE, Suite 700, Albuquerque, NM, 87110.
PECOS CONFERENCE UPDATE
Pecos Conference, August 10 – 13, 2006 at Navajo Lake, New Mexico
There is still time to register for the Pecos Conference. Visit:
Complete Pecos Conference information is available at: