Title: Director of Operations
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Salary Rate: $65,000
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Benefits: Paid Time Off (200 hours), health insurance, vision plan, optional dental plan (50% subsidized), 401k plan with 20% employer match, life insurance, short term and long term disability insurance.
For three decades, Archaeology Southwest has practiced a holistic, conservation-based approach to exploring and protecting the places of the past. We call this Preservation Archaeology. By exploring what makes a place special, sharing this knowledge in innovative ways, and enacting flexible site protection strategies, we foster meaningful connections to the past and respectfully safeguard its irreplaceable resources.
For more information, please visit www.archaeologysouthwest.org
Reporting to the President/CEO, the successful Director of Operations will be a hands-on and participative manager with experience in nonprofit finance, planning and budgeting, human resources, and administration.
The Director of Operations is a critical member of the senior leadership team in strategic decision-making and operations as Archaeology Southwest continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity.
Duties of the Position:
- Manage an operating budget of $3 million; prepare, analyze, and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; and oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process; work with external auditors and the finance and audit committees of the Board of Directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the President/CEO; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Implement a robust contracts and grants management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract and grant billing schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the financial policies and procedure manual if necessary.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the Board of Directors.
Human Resources, Technology, and Administration
- Further develop Archaeology Southwest’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits analysis, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Manage Archaeology Southwest’s external IT service provider to assure all IT systems are meeting the organization’s planning, tracking, reporting, and program needs
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations.
- Minimum of a B.A.
- At least 7-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and operations management experience in a non-profit organization.
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for either a division or a significant program area, as well as the ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – Board and staff members, who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy; experience with accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision-making
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multi-task while also being willing to “roll up the sleeves” and get tasks done.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Archaeology Southwest
Supervises: 1 Office Manager/Bookkeeper
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Linda Pierce, Deputy Director
300 N. Ash Alley
Tucson, AZ 85701