Title: Museum Technician
Classification: Full-time, hourly, eligible for full benefits, eligible for overtime with prior approval
Location: Tucson, Arizona – Western Archeological and Conservation Center
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Hourly Rate: $20
- Paid Time Off (PTO) — 5 weeks in your first year: 200 hours pro-rated through December 31, 2021
- Health insurance — ASW pays 84% of employee coverage, 3 plans to choose from
- 401(k) retirement plan with 20% employer match — Traditional IRA, ROTH IRA, various funds to invest in
- Dental insurance — ASW pays 50% of employee coverage
- Life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, vision plan — ASW pays 100% of employee coverage
Who We Are
Archaeology Southwest is a private 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, on Tohono O’odham Nation homelands and the lands of the Pascua Yaqui Tribe. We practice Preservation Archaeology, a holistic and conservation-based approach to exploring and protecting heritage places while honoring their diverse values. We compile archaeological information, make it accessible and understandable, share it with the public and decision-makers, advocate for landscape-scale protection, and steward heritage properties and conservation easements. We are committed to real and ongoing collaboration with Indigenous communities.
For more information, please visit www.archaeologysouthwest.org.
Archaeology Southwest is looking for a museum technician to work at the Western Archeological and Conservation Center (WACC), a division of the National Park Service (NPS). The successful candidate will be involved in museum processing and cataloging of materials housed at WACC under the control of the NPS including archeological and historical objects. Training in museum procedures will be provided by NPS museum program staff.
This position is located at the National Park Service Western Archeological and Conservation Center at 255 N. Commerce Park Loop (West of the freeway and North of Congress St.) The work is at a federal facility, but you will be an employee of Archaeology Southwest, not a federal employee.
This position is 40 hours per week between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday. The position is funding dependent and may be extended beyond one year if funding is available and the employee maintains satisfactory performance.
The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide assistance to NPS staff and students working at the facility in performing tasks such as research, data entry, IPM, cataloging, labeling, and storing items in the WACC repository.
- Teaching students the above-identified processes and others as assigned.
- Coaching and monitoring of students and tracking management of project progress to achieve timely completion. Check student task logs and timesheets for accurate charges to multiple accounts.
- Applicant will be required to use the National Park Service’s Interior Collections Management System (ICMS) database program or subsequent programs. Training will be provided.
- Perform work in proximity to human remains and funerary objects.
- Some of the work will require sitting for extended periods of time, climbing a rolling ladder up to 10 ft. high, using a Work-Assist-Vehicle (WAV machine), and the ability to lift boxes up to 25 lbs. overhead.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Detail oriented
- Familiar with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Type with moderate speed and accuracy via computer
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to lift and carry boxes up to 25 lbs. in weight
- Fingerprint-based background check is required
- Experience or coursework in museum studies, archaeology, anthropology, history, or related field
- Supervisory experience
- Interest in museum work, prehistoric cultures of the southwest, American history, artifact identification, and collection management
- Experience or coursework in laboratory or field methods
- Experience with museum documentation methods
- Experience with Collection Management software systems
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Brian Williams, Director of Operations
300 N. Ash Alley, Tucson, AZ 85701